Thursday 20 June 2013

Interview with Mark Crozer (singer of Bray Wyatt's theme for wrestling fans)

Mark Crozer is a british musician who was known for being a member of world acclaimed band The Jesus and Mary Chain; however, he has gotten new fame after Bray Wyatt ( Wyndham Rotunda). This song has captivated many wrestling fans (including me). Mark is currently the frontman of Mark Crozer and the Rels. The band released his debut album in April 2012. (you can order the album through his website) I had the opportunity to interview Mark, who kindly answered all of my questions, telling me about his background, his songs and particularly Broken out in Love (Bray Wyatt's theme original name).



JC:  Mark, how did you fall in love with music? How old were you?
Mark Crozer: I have pretty vivid memories of listening to Beatles singles on my mum's Dansette record player when I was about six years old. That was when I first became aware of bands and knew that music was I wanted to do when I grew up. I still haven't grown up! Fortunately. And I intend to keep it that way.

JC:  You recorded “All Things Must Pass”  for the TV show "Heros" how did your song got to be featured on the show?
Mark Crozer: That's a Jesus and Mary Chain song. I played rhythm guitar on the recording. I'm happy that I got to do it as it made it onto the soundtrack album. It's exciting to think that my playing can be heard on an album alongside the likes of Bob Dylan, David Bowie, Death Cab For Cutie and other cool bands…

JC:  You have travelled all over the world. How hard has the road been?
Mark Crozer: Well… You're right. I've been around a bit. I've played with the Mary Chain on practically every continent and done a few shows of my own in the UK, Canada, the US… It's been great. It's always exciting going somewhere new. And even though there's a lot of time spent sitting on a plane or a bus or in a hotel lobby waiting… or sitting in a dressing room waiting… there is an awful lot of waiting about involved - it's all worth it as soon as you step out onto the stage. I will never get used to the thrill of walking out there in front of a crowd. It's amazing. I've got to see so many wonderful places. Two weeks ago I was in Barcelona and had enough free time to visit the city for a day and just wander about. I just walked around almost open-mouthed going "wow! I'm in Spain!"



JC:  You have been a part of many bands. How would you describe your evolution?
Mark Crozer: I started playing in bands when I was 14 which was… a long time ago! Almost 30 years. That is very hard to believe. Like I said, I still haven't grown up yet. Playing music has really been the only thing I've wanted to do since I was a kid and I can't imagine doing anything else. When I first started out I really couldn't play more than a few power chords but my desire to play was very strong - stronger than my ability. So I just kept going. I remember one day, when I was in my twenties, playing something on the guitar and thinking "Huh… I guess I can actually play now" but really you never stop learning or improving. I think I've accepted that I'm never going to be the world's greatest guitar player but I'm quite creative so it makes up for my technical ineptitude!

I really didn't get any kind of 'break' as a musician until I was in my mid-thirties. Prior to being asked to play with The Jesus and Mary Chain I'd only ever played in small clubs. It was a bit of a shock going from that to walking onstage at Coachella in 2007 in front of around 50,000 people! But it felt absolutely right to be there. Like coming home. I still have that feeling now in front of a big audience. I was born for that I think. It's just where I'm meant to be.

JC:  Who are your musical influences?
Mark Crozer: It all begins and ends with The Beatles as far as I'm concerned. They've been a constant on my playlist right through from scratchy vinyl when I was a kid to cassette tapes then CDs and now on mp3. I've been listening to them for 35 years and I never get bored of hearing them. Of course, I love and have been influenced by a ton of other bands too (Radiohead, The Cure, The Smiths,  Echo and The Bunnymen, The House of Love, Ride, Dead Can Dance, lots of stuff from the 80s you'll notice… probably because that was when I was a teenager.)

JC:  How would you describe your songs? What do you use to want to transmit to the ones listening?
Mark Crozer: My songs are… um… I don't know… I have a hard time describing what I do even though it's nothing particularly original or complicated. I guess I think of my style as being quite "classic" in that I'm very melody driven and the songs have verses, choruses and bridges most of the time. There's a real old school feel to most of what I do but it still has a freshness to it as well. I can't help but incorporate elements of 60s music in there as I love that period so much. I tend to write about feelings that most people can relate to even if sometimes the subject is a little bit weird… I don't like analyzing my songs too much as I tend to see nothing but the flaws. I hate my voice but I love singing so I have to do it! And I'm totally obsessed with the whole writing/recording process. I spend hours and hours and hours sometimes tweaking the tiniest guitar part or drum sound that I know nobody but me will notice. I'm a little nuts I think.




JC:  Talking about songs and feelings transmission. Bray Wyatt is a soon-to-debut character in the WWE. He has formed a stable called The Wyatt Family. He seems to be a sinister character. A doomsday preacher. Fans think your song Live in Fear(originally named Broken Out In Love) fits his creepy character. What do you think of that? What was your idea when you wrote the song? ( Did WWE contacted you asking for permission to use the song? how was it?)
Mark Crozer: Yeah… it's pretty exciting for me to hear my song being used in this context. When I originally heard a rumor that he was using my song as his theme I couldn't imagine how it would work. But then I saw one of the vignettes and I instantly realized it was a great fit. Of course, when I wrote the song, I had no idea it would ever end up being a wrestling theme! It's such an unlikely choice to me. Maybe that's why it works so well. The funny thing to me is that it's not a song I spent very much time on. I wouldn't say it was a throw away song but it's one I wrote quite quickly. I literally wrote and recorded it one evening and most of the parts are the first take. In fact this was my first ever attempt at playing slide guitar. I had no idea what I was doing… I just hit record and made it up with the intention of redoing it later. But when I listened back I thought… yeah, that sounds good so I left it.

I'm very happy - and very lucky - that the WWE picked my song. I think it was even Bray Wyatt himself who chose it as we had a little conversation on Twitter about it last year. I understand that most of the time when wrestlers move to the main roster, they get a new theme. I feel very privileged that they decided to stick with Broken Out In Love (or Live In Fear as it's now known.) It's pretty amazing how many new fans I've already made and he hasn't even debuted yet.

I think that the Bray Wyatt character is definitely creepy and sinister but there's also something quite heroic about him. I think he's going to be huge. There's just something about him… I don't think he's a traditional villain or 'heel,' he's something different. Something very exciting!


Bray Wyatt:Live in Fear

JC:  Are you a wrestling fan? IF so, who are your favorite wrestlers?
Mark Crozer: I have to say that, prior to this happening, I hadn't watched wrestling since I was a kid in the UK. I loved watching the British wrestlers like Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks on TV in the 70s and 80s. But of course when I knew Bray Wyatt was coming out to my song I made a point of watching him on YouTube. And I have to say that I've become a fan. He is such a great showman. I loved the showdown recently between Bray and Chris Jericho. That was a lot of fun to watch.

Here is the match between Chris Jericho and Bray Wyatt from NxT


JC:  If you would choose a song of yours for another wrestler, which song and wrestler would you pair?
Mark Crozer: God, that's a tricky question! I'm going to have watch a lot more wrestling to be able to give you a good answer. I have a song called 'All You Gotta Do' that has quite an epic feel that I think would suit someone but… no idea who!

JC:  Have you imagined yourself playing live at a WWE PPV while The Wyatt Family enters? DO you think this song would impact your career?
Mark Crozer: Absolutely! I would love to play the song live at a WWE event. It would be a massive thrill. In fact I hope that it's going to happen one day. I'm meeting the head of the WWE Music Group in a couple of weeks and that's definitely one thing I want to talk to him about. The song has already had an impact on my career - more so than anything else I've done do far. Hopefully it will just keep growing and people will discover all my other songs too. There's a lot of them! I have a full length album out (Mark Crozer and The Rels) that came out in April 2012 and also there's an acoustic album on iTunes that I released in 2002. I'm working on new music all the time and will release a new EP or maybe even a full album in the fall.

JC:  You just released your album. How would you describe it?
Mark Crozer: Ah… yes… Mark Crozer and The Rels - as mentioned in the previous answer. Well… it's 18 songs (the original release was just 14 songs but I added a few bonus tracks when I re-released it this year.) It's probably best described as "retro power pop." If you like Broken Out In Love you'll like the album. It's perhaps a little poppier than that song but very much in the same style. It's influenced by the music of the 60s and also the 80s… but I think it still has a fresh, modern sound to it. It's received some great reviews and interest just keeps building all the time. The album is currently Number 1 on the Radio Free Americana chart and has been getting plays on radio all round the world.

I wanted to shre this song with you: Killed by Karma


JC:  What are your short and long term goals?
Mark Crozer: Have fun! Enjoy life every day. Keep breathing. Spend time playing with my four year old daughter. And of course, keep writing and recording music. I still don't think I've written my best work yet. There's a lot more to come.

JC:  When are the upcoming performances of Mark Crozer and The Rels?
Mark Crozer: Our next show is at The Visulite Theater, Charlotte, NC on Fri July 19th, 8pm. I would love to see some Bray Wyatt fans there. We will of course be playing Broken Out In Love in the set.

JC:  What would you like to add to the fans?
Mark Crozer: I would just like to say 'Thank You!" Thanks for digging the song and for all the great tweets and Facebook messages. I really appreciate hearing from everyone. Keep on listening and come and see one of our shows.

Thank you Mark for the interview. I wish you much success and I am actually sure you will do great. Also thanks to WWE and Bray Wyatt for making us (wresting fans) get to know such a talented musician.

To all of you fans, check markcrozermusic.com for more updated of this great musician and his band 

No comments:

Post a Comment